Do you have a story or tip you’d like to share?
What have you done that’s made life happier, healthier, and less stressful for you, your child, or a family member living with primary immune deficiency disease?
Share your story and help our community.
GAMMAGARD LIQUID [Immune Globulin Infusion (Human)] 10%
GAMMAGARD LIQUID is used to treat patients with primary immunodeficiency diseases (PI). There are many forms of PI. The most common types of PI result in an inability to make a very important type of protein called antibodies, which help the body fight off infections from bacteria or viruses. GAMMAGARD LIQUID is made from human plasma that is donated by healthy people. GAMMAGARD LIQUID contains antibodies collected from these healthy people that replace the missing antibodies in PI patients.
Detailed Important Risk Information for Patients
Tell your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
GAMMAGARD LIQUID can cause the following serious reactions:
- Severe allergic reactions causing difficulty in breathing or skin rashes
- Decreased kidney function or kidney failure
- Blood clots in the heart, brain, lungs or elsewhere in the body
- Severe headache, drowsiness, fever, painful eye movements, or nausea and vomiting
- Dark colored urine, swelling, fatigue, or difficulty breathing
Tell your healthcare provider if you have a history of poor kidney function or kidney failure. If so, GAMMAGARD LIQUID should be administered at the slowest intravenous infusion rate as determined by your healthcare provider.
Contact your healthcare provider or call emergency services immediately if you have reduced urination, sudden weight gain, or swelling in your legs. These could be signs of a kidney problem.
Do not use GAMMAGARD LIQUID if you have a known history of a severe allergic reaction to immune globulin or other blood products. If you have such a history, discuss this with your healthcare provider to determine if GAMMAGARD LIQUID can be given to you. Tell your healthcare provider if you have a condition called selective (or severe) immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency.
If any of the following problems occur after starting treatment with GAMMAGARD LIQUID, stop the infusion immediately and contact your healthcare provider or call emergency services. These could be signs of a serious problem.
- Hives, swelling in the mouth or throat, itching, trouble breathing, wheezing, fainting or dizziness. These could be signs of a serious allergic reaction.
- Bad headache with nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, fever, and sensitivity to light. These could be signs of irritation of the lining around your brain.
- Reduced urination, sudden weight gain, or swelling in your legs. These could be signs of a kidney problem.
- Pain, swelling, warmth, redness, or a lump in your legs or arms. These could be signs of a blood clot.
- Brown or red urine, fast heart rate, yellow skin or eyes. These could be signs of a liver problem or a blood problem.
- Chest pain or trouble breathing, blue lips or extremities. These could be signs of a serious heart or lung problem.
- Fever over 100°F. This could be a sign of an infection.
These are not all of the possible side effects with GAMMAGARD LIQUID. You can ask your healthcare provider for physician’s information leaflet.
GAMMAGARD LIQUID is made from human plasma. It may carry a risk of transmitting viruses.
The following one or more possible reactions may occur at the site of infusion. These generally go away within a few hours, and are less likely after the first few infusions.
- Mild or moderate pain
During the infusion of GAMMAGARD LIQUID, look out for the first signs of the following common side effects:
- Chills/Shaking chills
- Faster Heart Rate
- Upper Abdominal Pain
- Increased Blood Pressure
Whenever giving yourself treatments at home, you should have another responsible person present to help treat side effects or get help should a serious adverse reaction occur. Ask your healthcare provider whether you should have rescue medications, such as antihistamines or epinephrine.
Please see the Full Prescribing Information for GAMMAGARD LIQUID [Immune Globulin Infusion (Human)] 10% for full prescribing details.